Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Thoughts on Implementing Curriculum Change

        When implementing a change in curriculum, educational leaders need to keep in mind that oftentimes teachers treat their content as if it were their children; and they tend to be very protective of it. Therefore, it is imperative that these changes are not only relevant and meaningful, but also that key teacher leaders are included in designing the scope and sequence within their respective content areas.
This empowers teachers to take ownership in the new curriculum while ensuring that is designed to meet the needs of the students on their campus and in their classrooms. A major challenge, especially for district leaders in bigger school districts, is that they are oftentimes several steps removed from the campus level (as is the case in my former district). Now that I am in a much smaller district, I see that the challenge is still the same, just on a more manageable scale. 

         The best way for district leaders to partner with campus level teachers  to  ensure that curriculum is being followed is to make regular visits to their assigned campuses,  conduct walkthroughs in classrooms and sit in on PLCs. As a district leader, I would want to see lesson plans posted outside each classroom, so I can glance at it before walking into a classroom. Knowing what is supposed to be happening on any given day in a classroom makes it easier for campus and district level leaders to know what to look for as they walk in and out of classrooms.

        Furthermore I would also want to see the objectives and I will statements displayed clearly and conspicuously so I know what to look for. Viewing posted lesson plans, objectives  and I will statements.    These elements not only give me something to discuss with teachers either privately or in PLCs, but these elementst also help the students know what they will be working on each day, and what their goals are. Conducting learning walks and calibration walks are also great to help teacher leaders know what refinements need to be discussed in their respective PLCs. 




DeMatthews, D. E. (2014). How to Improve Curriculum Leadership: Integrating Leadership Theory and Management Strategies. Clearing House, 87(5), 192–196. https://doi-org.libproxy.lamar.edu/10.1080/00098655.2014.911141

No comments:

Post a Comment

One down, Nineteen to go! Thoughts on Academic Writing

     I have now finished my first course in my doctoral program and I am feeling a bit better about continuing down the path. My cohort has ...