Thursday, December 3, 2020

Who owns your e-portfolio?

     
  My first thought in answering this question is absolutely yes, it is mine! I feel that if I put the work in, then I should own it. However, after I read the articles, I realized that it really depends on what kind of information you are including in your portfolio. If I am simply working from a template or completing assignments that do not require original thought, then I would say that the teacher is the one who owns it. However, if I want my students ownership of their portfolios, then I must give them some control over what they include in their portfolios as well as the design of their portfolios. Rikard (2015) says it best when he states, "giving a student ownership over data means nothing if it doesn’t allow them to determine that data." While I do believe my students need a rubric to work from as well as a list of assignments required by our campus (i.e. the data tracker), they need the freedom to design their portfolio in  a way that  makes sense to them. 


      One of the ways I can help my students take ownership of their portfolios is to have them reflect on their learning in each class on a weekly basis. Reflection can take many forms, so having them explore their options  is a great way to help them figure out what works best for them. For example, one week I
could have them create an infographic that highlights their learning in science and how it will impact their lives.  The next week I could have them create a PowToon video that discusses their learning in Social Studies and its impact. They also should be exposed to blogging, which is a great platform for journaling and giving feedback to each other--much like we do in this discussion board. The great thing about all of the examples I have mentioned, is that I can show them personal examples of each of those. As Harapnuik (2019)points out, "[effectively modeling] what we expect our students to do with their e-Portfolio by showing them ours" makes the feedback we give them "much more valuable and more openly received." I also think that being transparent about our own struggles with the trial and error of designing our own e-portfolios gives our students permission to ask for help from others, which can lead to healthy collaborative discussions about how to build their own portfolios. When I hear my students having these kinds of collaborative discussions, I get a sense that they are beginning to take ownership of their work. 


____________________________________________________

References


Harapnuik, D. (2019, May). Who Owns the portfolio? Retrieved November 30, 2020, from http://www.harapnuik.org/?page_id=6050

Rikard, A. (2015, August 10). Do I Own My Domain If You Grade It? - EdSurge News. Retrieved November 30, 2020, from https://www.edsurge.com/news/2015-08-10-do-i-own-my-domain-if-you-grade-it

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you and Mr. Harapnuik that modeling is key when it comes to an ePortfolio. As I reflect  on the year I introduced ePortoflios (Google sites) to my fourth and fifth graders, I think that I modeled ineffectively. I had built a "fake site" to show the students what they would be creating. I think it would have been more powerful had I actually started my ePortfolio that year and authentically reflected on the peices I showcased on my site. I only provided structured choice (they had to use Google sites due to district policies), but I allowed choice in what they showcased and how they customized their sites. Because our fifth graders had limited exposure to technology, I think structured choice was the right decision. I can also see how structured choice might ease some teachers into relinquishing control slowly as they change their mindset regarding grades and assignments. My personal experience did not prove successful, but we did not use the eportfolio as a grade nor did they have very often to work on their sites. I looked at your site, and I think middle school Avid would be a wonderful place to begin an ePortfolio using COVA! I would highly recommend Google sites as the domain can stay with them as long as they are students in your district! 

    ReplyDelete

One down, Nineteen to go! Thoughts on Academic Writing

     I have now finished my first course in my doctoral program and I am feeling a bit better about continuing down the path. My cohort has ...